Thursday, September 17, 2015

Catch up post with a Manhattan Training Run 14.2 - Recap


I am sooooooooooooo sorry I haven't posted in over a month. It has been a slow month.  I got a bad case of bronchitis so I had to skip out on a bunch of races and running all together.  I did walk a bunch on the treadmill to try and keep my legs moving.  MCM is not going to run itself.

August highlights -  Sands Point 5k, one of my favorites and I have done this every year since I started running.  3rd place in my division second year in a row to boot.




 Blacklight run with a bunch of friends -



Even sick I did get over 60 miles on my feet in August so I was pleased about that even if most were walking on the treadmill.

So that brings us to the 14.2 training run in Manhattan.  I had signed up last year but got sick right before (I am noticing a trend) so I deferred to this year.  My friend Susan was going so she offered to drive me.  Last year I had gotten a hotel but this year I decided against that.  So at 4:30am Susan picked me up and we drove in towards the finish line.  We parked, peed and got out stuff.  They bused us up to the start line when I met up with a bunch of LI, NJ and NYC BGRs.  I started talking with Nicole and we decided to run together doing the 1:1.  Susan decided to stick with us too.  It was hot but forsure not as bad as it had been.

Photo Credit - Linda Armstrong
The start of the race is hilly but once we get to the running/walking/bike path along the west side it flattens out.  We just kept moving forward and chatting away.  Nicole is so fun and sweet!

Half way selfie

The last few miles were tough for me, I was so tired and it was getting pretty hot.  I learned that many bike riders on that bath are real jerks.  Finally we saw the finish!!  I did my usual sprint that was fueled by the cheers of all the BGR that had finished already <3  We got our swag, took some pictures and Susan and I headed home.  I drank too much gatorade on the course because it was cold and my belly was paying for it!!

BGR with Race Director Curtis


Team Chris

Running buds!

Not a race and you dont get a time but you get fun swag!


Now, while the course was great, the volunteers were amazing, it was perfectly run and organized plus it was a fun time I won't be doing this again.  Susan said this was the best weather in the 7 years she did it and it was tough for me and I really had to be up waaaaaaay too early.  I do recommend everyone try it at least once!!

9 comments:

  1. Great race report! Congrats for doing it, even on the heels of Bronchitis. I am in the midst of training for a half marathon and have been felled by pneumonia....what's up with that???? But after the shortest break possible...I'm back out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race report! Congrats for doing it, even on the heels of Bronchitis. I am in the midst of training for a half marathon and have been felled by pneumonia....what's up with that???? But after the shortest break possible...I'm back out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you are back out there....every August I seem to get sick...what the heck?!?

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Believe it or not you couldn't really tell we were in Manhattan. Since we wee along the West Side you didn't see any of the usual sights you would expect.

      Delete
  5. ahhhhhh I miss running with you. Countdown to Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete