Monday, April 13, 2015

Rock & Roll Raleigh Part Deux

Last year if you remember I went down to Raleigh to not only run the inaugural Rock n Roll Raleigh half marathon but to visit my friends Jerry & Shannon.  It was a great time and so I was looking forward to doing it again and this time Tom actually was coming too!

We hopped a flight down Friday morning, Jerry picked us up and we headed direct to the expo.  That way I could get in and out quickly.  I was right 10 mins tops.  After we went to eat and headed back to Jerry's house.  I was excited to see Loki and Penny <3





We also headed to a quick hike to a local lake and then to dinner.  The weather in NC was so awesome after such a shit show of a winter here in NY.






The next morning Tom, Jerry and I went to Hanging Rock State Park for a hike.  It was nice but way too crowded.  We didn't stay long because my ankle started really bothering me.  So after a bit we headed to Winston Salem for the absolute best chai latte I have ever had at a place called Krankies.


We had dinner after then and then headed back to the house to get my stuff and drop me at the hotel.  I got a funny text on my way to the hotel....it was my friend Dave saying he was worried about me since I had not posted my race day outfit yet HAHAHA  So of course as soon as I got there I got everything ready for the next morning.  I knew I didn't have to get up way before the race since the start was literally right outside the front door of the hotel.



I was up at 6:15 and after I got ready I headed down stairs.  The start was 7am and I was in corral 19 so I went to the start and waited.  In retrospect this was not the best idea.  No walking around meant no warming up of the feet and legs.


For the first time in well over a year or so I was going into a race with a time goal.  You see I had received an email a few weeks ago saying that since I ran last year if I beat my time this year I would get a bonus prize.   It will be a tshirt that really isn't that cute but I NEED THAT SHIRT.  So I knew taking pictures along the way was not going to happen.  I needed to keep moving forward.  So the only course pics were at the start.  I was so happy I saw this guys with these AMAZING signs.





The first few miles even with the tight legs seemed to go by quite fast.  I was keeping to a 2:1 run/walk except I would walk up the hills and run down the hills.  I told myself to not look at my watch as then I would focus on how far - how long - how fast.  So I would only look at the pace when I hit mile markers.  I was pleased with what I was seeing.  I ha started right in front of the 2:45 pace group to give myself something to focus on if needed.  I thought I was well ahead of them after I ran for a good while down a longish hill around mile 3 but they not only caught up to me but passed me up the next hill.  I was so pissed.  I just kept moving forward but it was getting hot and I was getting tired pretty fast.  However I passed them again but I was not sure if I really was because they were stopped taking pictures so I was not sure if they were still pacing anyone or not.  I didn't ask.



About halfway the hills get bigger and steeper going up - at least that is what they felt like to me.  I just kept refusing to look at my watch but I was feeling pretty confident I was going to get that damn shirt.  My splits were looking pretty good (except for a one or two but there was nothing but uphills during those LOL) I starting wondering if I was going to break 2:50 or even 2:45....I had not run faster than 2:51 since my PR of 2:38 last May and before that other than 2:40 at Long Branch in April of 2014 I had not run faster than 2:45 since my second EVER half in March of 2013!!!!  I only had 3 in the 2:45-2:49 range too.....these were the thoughts I was using to keep me going as my legs were so tired, I was hot and the hills were killing not just one bur both my ankles.

I finally made that last turn and for the first time in a while I didn't have it in me to sprint to the finish but I just kept running.  I crossed, hit my watch and smiled. 2:44:01 



I grabbed my medal, my finisher photo, my snacks and headed right back to the hotel.  I told Tom and Jerry not to come until 1pm so I could relax after the race and not just rush through the shower and head right out.  


Betcha you can guess where the big uphills were LOL

Strava said I did good too



They came and got me and we headed to some sort of State Fair flea market for a good southern breakfast.  The pancakes were a bit large to say the least.  LMAO  After we went to this outdoor flea market we went to last year that I wanted to show Tom because it sold crazy stuff but this year was not as fun.  Then back to the house to relax for a bit and then head out to dinner.



We went to a great Mexican place for dinner.  I wish my house looked like this place.  The food was great, then walked to get ice cream I had to take a picture for my Penguins....they are alway looking out.




That reminded me of a different picture I took.  There was a carving on a bench that made me smile.  Do you recognize it?



Today we tried to sleep in but as per usual when I can sleep in I can't and when I can't I have the hardest time waking up.  I just had a cup of tea on the deck with Loki and then we cuddled and watched TV before Shannon dropped us off at the airport.  I was so happy to be home to my cats but I really had a great time and can't wait until the next visit.


6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your RNR Raleigh PR that is awesome! Way to crush it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the PR! You did great! What adorable pups too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I am just afraid now I will be too time focused and try to get a distance PR lolol

      Delete
  3. Love all your pictures! Congrats on a great race :)

    ReplyDelete