Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Time to get caught up.....even if it is out of order. Baltimore Half Marathon Recap.

I still have to write about Rock n Roll Philly and my Team Corey weekend but that post will be long and needs my undivided attention as it is very important.

Just 2 weeks after my first marathon  I was headed to Baltimore for a half marathon.  I did do a local 5k the week before but that was almost the only running I had done so I was pretty nervous.  It was the 2nd half of the Maryland Double and we all know I love bonus bling LOL.

I flew down Friday afternoon and was picked up at the airport by Jeff, Alicia and Aiden.  We headed directly to the expo.  The expo was nice and not super crowded so we got our stuff, wandered around and got all KT taped.

After the expo I checked into the hotel, left Jen's name at the desk so she and Danielle could get a key if they got there before I got back.  The Littwin's and I went to dinner and shopping at the sugar store.

After dinner they dropped me off at my hotel.  Jen and I didn't have to be up super early like Danielle but we all headed to bed early.  Well after we laid out our outfits of course.

In the morning we watched the marathon start from our window and just lazily got ready.  We were also watching the marathon on TV.  We were trying to find Danielle but we never saw her.  I got a text from Alicia once they got near the start so we headed down.  I wanted to get a picture with a FB friend Jerry but I couldn't get to where he was because my corral was further back and they wouldn't let me pass.  We all headed to the start.  I wanted to stop to pee but the porto potties were facing the street and the road was not closed so I was not about to get hit by a car.

I posted this on the Facebook page of the race and they seemed to be concerned and will address it for next year.

We got to the start which seemed a bit confusing as we had to cross the marathon course.  We took some pictures of course and then we were off.


The Littwins <3

Happy Anniversary!!!
Pretty soon we heard the boom and we were off.  I like a big race and there were quite a few people in this one.  But first.......selfies.

The course itself was OK.  We did not go through the best of areas but there were spectators the whole way which I love.  Boy O Boy Baltimore is hilly!!!  One complaint there was no water until after mile 3 where we merged in with the marathon.  Speaking of mile 3, that is where a man came running over to me and asked me how I knew Chris.  I told him that I knew his family.  He told me his name was Cpl Marty Barnes and thanked me as he shook my hand and ran off.  It never stops amazing me that people thank ME for running for Chris.  Chris is the one who did amazing things, not me.

Jen and I just kept running along, I wasn't taking pictures because I was feeling lazy LOL  She took some but she has not put them on Facebook for me to steal yet.  There are some good ones from along the course that I did buy.

Once we finished we saw Alicia, walked forever to get our medals and food and then I went to get my bonus bling.  Jen also had to take a pit stop at the medical tent because she rolled her ankle AFTER we crossed the finish line LOL  I was getting texts about Danielle's progress so we knew when she was about to cross.  Alicia and I headed over and got as close as we could to get a picture and cheer for her.

Danielle, Jen and I headed back to our hotel to shower super fast and head home.  Well they were driving to NJ for another race the next day.  I was getting dropped off at the airport by the Littwins :)

Bonus points if you know why I had to pose here.

Bonus bling.

Once I got to the airport I tried to get on an earlier flight home but was told that since I had a discounted fare I would have to pay $120 to go home just 1.5 hours thanks.  I will just hang at my favorite Maryland eatery.

I genuinely don't mind hanging out in the airport so I just waited for my flight and headed home.  Besides the flight from Baltimore to Long Island is less than an hour.

When I got home, after saying hi to Tom and the kitties I took a picture of all the bling from the Maryland Double.  Fredericks in May and Baltimore in October.  (There is a 3rd for the King Crab but I missed that one in June)  I also had a great suprise from my running bestie Kim AKA Barking Mad About Running  .  It was part birthday present and part marathon present and I couldn't love it more.

Still to come....Rock n Roll Philly and Marine Corps Marathon Weekend.


  1. What an absolutely fun race! I hate hilly courses, but you looked like you were enjoying yourself.

    Love the shirt from your friend. AWESOME!

    1. Thanks!! I have decided that since I am a back of the packer anyway I might as well have a good time and not worry about the time on the clock right?! :)

  2. I'm so glad that you liked your surprise, I am so proud of you!