Thursday, March 20, 2014

Frozen Penguin Half Marathon

So awhile back my fellow runner/friend Susan mentioned on FB that she was doing a local half marathon and it was only $45!!!  What???  She said she would drive and I signed up.  I also found out another girl, Tracy I was friends with on FB was going so we planned on all going together.

In case you hadn't heard it has been cold!!!  After Central Park half where it was 44 degrees......the temps dropped right back down.  Oh and I should mention that the entire course is on the water.

One of the best things about this race is that it started at 10:00am !!!  We all know I hate getting up early.  We all met at Susan's house and I drove into Brooklyn.  We got there fast and only had a little problem finding parking.  We got our bibs and went back to the car to hang out until it was race time. Because as you may have figured out....it was COLD!!!




It was a small race so they held off on the start for those of us on the bathroom line.  Susan was sick and I am slow so we said Good Luck to Tracy who is a sub 2:00 runner!!  We headed to the back of the pack and started off.  The course is an out and back and out further and back course.  We run along and go under the Verrazano Bridge just across the water from Manhattan.  It was cold but I dressed well for it.  I got a new winter running jacket for Victorias Secret which is very comfy and warm.  I also wore my lined Brooks pants so I was only cold on the back of my neck when my bondi band got wet....I had a neck gator from merrel down and dirty too.....funny thing is I saw over a dozen other people with the same one LOL

I tried to take pictures but it was cold and I was just not feeling this run.  Pretty soon on my 3:1 run:walk became a 3:1 walk:run.  It is a good thing I am from NY and walk fast LOL  I took pictures on the way out and then put my camera away for the rest of the run.  I should have done the way back at least once for the NYC skyline.









I was walking A LOT and since she was sick Susan was right behind me but she just kept running.  She is awesome.  I kept an eye on my watch and knew there was a 3:00 time limit and I wanted to be sure to get it.  When I got to the last water stop it was gone.....this was annoying.  As I was nearing the finish line I was just passing the 2:50 mark so I was relieved until I saw they were pulling ip the mat!!!  As I crossed I said "I am not last"  I knew of 3 people behind me and I wanted them to get a time.  99% of the stuff was packed up in the finish area and poor Tracy was waiting for us after her 1:50 finish!!!  Susan finished right behind me and we headed home.

You will notice there is no picture of the medal.  Remember the $45.00 price tag....well the medal was a cheap.  Since I work for an awards company I know how much they paid for that plastic medal on the skinny ribbon.....LESS THAN $1ea.   Yeah I know it was a cheap race and it is not supposed to be about the medal....but I like nice medals!!!

When the results were listed there was no one listed after 2:36!!!  I was pissed.  I emailed them.  I was not a jerk and even put the email on FB to confirm and everyone said it was well written.  In the end I got results the next day, they claim a glitch but the glitch in my opinion was that they pulled hop the timing mat.

Do I regret the race?  No I was there with friends and I started and finished.  The course was not my favorite so I will not do this one again or any of the other dozens of half marathons they have there.

Have you ever done a race you didn't like?  Why?

15 comments:

  1. Aww sorry about the cheap medal and the glitch about the results. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just know not to do this one again....they are the came company who did Central Park so they are usually good. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh. Just seeing those pictures brings up the angst of the Channukah Half! Your race pic should have the skyline behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My profession pics were pretty bad...I did get one but just because I have an album with 1 or 2 from each half marathon. Well I lost my diva pictures the day I finally got the album....LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh that just sucks! How can they pull the mat before the three hour finish?!? Glad you got your results, too bad you had to write that email. At least you know this one's off your list from now on.
    I ran a 5K a few months ago that was basically a running group that all knew each other and me. And it was a fast running group so I was one of the last people to finish. I didn't even stick around for post race treats, just got in my car and left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a tough day for a race. I have run that course before at the Narrows Half Marathon. It is pretty boring, but good if you're looking to PR. And it's not windy. I also have to say, I have been a fan of NYCRUNS and their races. If you do one of their hot chocolate runs, you'll get a nice big cocoa mug instead of a cheap medal. I'm actually running their spring fling on Roosevelt island tomorrow. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant PRing is possible without the wind. When I retread my post it looked like I was disputing the wind. I wasn't. :)

      Delete
    2. Not doing Roosevelt, I am doing the half in Flushing Meadows. Yeah, this was not usual for NYCRUNS, the Central Park was run great. I just think it was a bad day...it happens, right? :)

      MMMMMMM Hot chocolate :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, the hot chocolate was amazing! I heard FM HM was a lot of fun. Good luck!

      Delete
    4. It is, did it last year :) Just hoping the rain holds off for us :) Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I love all the bridge pictures! I am sorry that it was such a horrible race! They had so many cute ways they could have gone with race name like that! They could have had a great medal! Tomorrow's medal will be better! Hitting the road at 7:00!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures. Sorry the race company was not so awesome, but good job getting it done!

    ReplyDelete