Sunday, March 23, 2014

AllState Half Marathon.

Yes I know that it is now the Michelob Ultra 13.1 but I can't seem to call it that.  Anyway yesterday was the half marathon in Queens.  My friend Kim from Barking Mad About Running lives in NJ so she drove up Friday night.  We chatted for a bit but headed to bed early.

Saturday we were up and out of the house by 7am.  It was cold but we were relieved that it looked like it was not going to rain.  That had been a fear all week.  We got to Flushing Meadows easy and quick.  We went direct to packet pickup where we met up with the rest of IGR and Kim's friend Kaseedee.  I was kind of bummed when I got my packet and they were out of Womens XL so I had to get a large shirt.  We hung out and took pictures for a bit.  The IGR Husband/Photographer/bag boy/biggest cheerleader Jeff was there :)  I <3 Him!  We all do really, Alicia is a lucky lady :)

Island Girls Running - Photo by Jeff Littwin

I finally was in a HF picture!!!  - Photo by Jeff Littwin
After everyone got their stuff we headed to the bathroom and then the start line.  Some more pictures, high fives and we were off.  Laurie, Kim, Kaseedee and I decided to stick together and do my 3:1 run:walk plan.

Photo by Jeff Littwin

Photo by Jeff Littwin
We were sticking to the running plan for the most part and just having a good time.  We stopped a few times to take silly pictures along the course and when Laurie was not feeling well at the mile 4 mark Kim, Kaseedee and I had a dance party for nearly 10 minutes LMAO.  The kids at the water stop and all the runners passing us got a kick out of it.  Once Laurie was out of the bathroom she felt better and off we went for more pictures.











Digital Running Ambassadors being super serious.




For some reason I was getting side stitches a lot during this run, that is not usually a problem.  So the second half of the race we did not follow the 3:1 very well.  With about 3 miles left Laurie was feeling good so she went off to finish and the rest of us decided to stick to a 1:3 plan like I did at the frozen penguin.  Those last 3 miles were long but we were still having fun.  We came around to the finish where we saw Danielle, Alicia, Jeff and Laurie.  Danielle took our jackets and across the finish we went.

Running hugs for Jeff as always :) - Photo by Jeff Littwin
We grabbed our medals, snacks and finish line photos before we met up with the others to take more pictures.  My favorite part was the giant strawberries.....delish!




The man behind the camera <3 Jeff and Alicia
Kim and I had to head right out, she had to get home right away and so did I .  The traffic out of Queens was a pain in the ass but once we got on to the LIE is was better.  I tried to find some chocolate milk for her but we were not successful.  We got back to my house, she changed and headed out and I showered and relaxed with Tom for the rest of the day.



Yet another bottle opener for someone who doesnt drink beer LOL
I actually do not have any races next weekend!!  What?!?!?  Well I am volunteering for a race in Central Park but I am not running any LOL.  I am actually looking forward to a faceless weekend.  I have 6 half marathons, 2 5ks and a 4 miler in the next 9 weeks!  Then marathon training starts....YIKES!!!

What races do you have on the schedule for the Spring?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the love Gigi. I adore you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I did this race too. I'm just waiting for my official photos before I post my recap. It was a good time. Looks like you had a great group. I tend to run alone. *sniffle*

    Those strawberries were delish! Especially since I don't eat before a race. I needed that. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to keep in touch...we do have fun but we are slow :) Running solo is for sure less fun :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I forgot to add that I am doing the JFK Run on the Runway on April 6, and then the Spartan Race at Citifield on April 12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! I will not be at either of those but hopeful we will cross paths again!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. And we miss you!! When will you be back?

      Delete
  5. You have so much fun with your races, it's AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I really try too.....I am not fast and running hurts so I need something to take my mind off of that LOL

      Delete
  6. I had such a good time running with you Gigi, cannot wait to repeat the performance at April Fool's and Long Branch! Smooches to Jeff for the awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are willing to hang back with me :) I can't wait for our next one!!

      Delete