Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Half Marathon Training & Summer Series

This is going to be a quick post.  Just to get you guys up to date but they don't really need full posts.

Jeff Galloway Half Marathon Training App. - Awhile back I bought 4 Jeff Galloway apps.  5k, 10k, 1.1 & 26.2.  I planned to use the 1st 3 to make my times better and also to have the 26.2 for *IF* I ever decide to do a full.  In theory the app is great.  It doesn't work great I will not lie.  It is the run/walk program and as the workouts go by the timing ends up being out of sync with the prompts to go from walk to run or vise versa.  I complained on the FB page and got immediate response.  Looks like I need to wait for an update as it is a know problem with the gps.  I still use it for the plan but have the gps off and rely on my watch for distance.

NYS Summer Run Series - So far there have bee 3 races of the series.  I have only done 1 and 3.  The first was a 5 miler at Heckscher Park.  It was hot and humid but I had good friends with me so I was happy.


As I was running around mile 2.5 I saw a girl in a crazy get up with a sign that said "Ask me why I am wearing this" Soooooooooo I had to ask her :).  Her name is Susan and we ran the rest of the race together.  I will be doing a whole post on her and why she was wearing the outfit soon.....it is a wonderful story so stay tuned :)  I missed the second race as it was super humid and I was tired after a long weekend and the thought of one of the hardest 10ks out there was not a pleasant one.  I found out after that the course had to be cut to 5 miles due to damage still lingering from Super Storm Sandy.  The 3rd race was last night and it was supposed to be at Belmont Lake but again due to Sandy damage the park couldn't handle the about of runners/cars that come with the Summer Series so it was moved to Jones Beach.  It was not as hot as it has been but the humidity was crazy!!  89% according to the weather channel.  The run itself felt pretty good but the mosquitoes were OUT OF CONTROL!  There was a guy in front of me that had so many on his hat it looked like HAIR....We still have 5 more runs of the series, I will only be doing 4 of them.  The Hempsted Park one is just too far away and only a 4k.

Do you use any training plan apps?  Are there run series in your area?

12 comments:

  1. Ha ha that's cute that you asked that girl why she was wearing that sign. Can't wait to find out. And ick, mosquitos on a run do not sound fun. Ditto on humidity, I hate humidity!

    I've never heard of a run series before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a couple of series around here. My favorite are the park ones. 1 in the summer and 1 in the winter and we run at state parks :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I could do at least the Sayville Summer series, but the dang reg. fees prohibit that. Plus it can conflict with other runs I want to do. And the idea of the Summer Park Series is nice, but I'm 40 minutes east of you and I can't drive all over God's green earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it would be a crazy hike for you to get to the races!!! I even skip one because it is too far!

      Delete
  3. Great job on your races! I use the Runner's World Training plan app, but after I generate a plan, I send it to myself via email and work it into a big ol' excel spread sheet with my strength training etc. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I have tried the spreadsheet route but for some reason it made it too easy to skip runs.....

      Delete
  4. I use the Zen labs C25K program, it works for what I need it for. The controls for listening to music through the app dint work like I would want, so I just use the regular music app on my phone at the same time.

    Once my summer trips are done I'll see about signing up for a 5k run... hopefully one that you will do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you want to do one and I will find a fun one :)

      Delete
  5. I use the C25K app from active than the Zombie running apps, Bridge to 10K app, and for when i am feeling brave the 1/2 Marathon app.

    I have some 5Ks coming up even more virtual ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using the Zombies Run app too.....but put that on the back burner for this but I can't wait to get back to it!

      Delete
    2. I am going to use the Zombies Run app for the race I have this Saturday. Keep me motivated to go and get a new PR :D

      Delete
  6. Ok, now I wanna know about Susan!! I don't use a running app but thinking about what I'm going to do for marathon training. I always say I'm going to sign up for a local running series but just never do. They look fun!

    ReplyDelete