Sunday, June 9, 2013

LIMA 5k Recap

I am so behind on posts.....I am so sorry!

Well last Saturday was the LIMA (Long Island McArthur Airport) 5k.  I was more involved that just a runner for this one and I loved it.  I had met the race directors of this race in the local running community and by sheer coincidence they came to my job to make the awards.  While working with them on that I volunteered to help out with paperwork and packet pick up.  So for the last few weeks after I would get home from work and school I would do a lot of data entry and then last Friday after work I went to help with packet pick up.  I had such a good time.  The race had over 2,000 runners and walkers so the pick up gave me a chance to see people I would miss day of because of the crowds.


The swag
Saturday morning my friend Niqui picked me up and we headed over to the airport.  The traffic to get into the airport was CRAZE BALLZ as expected.  I just thought we were early enough to miss it but I was wrong.  It was super duper hot already and I knew that I was going to take it very easy because I had a half marathon the next morning.  Between that and the heat and amount of people I just went directly to the back of the start line knowing that I would take forever to get across the start line and there would be a lot of bobbing and weaving through the crowds when I started but I welcomed that to hold me back too.

When we crossed the start line the Suffolk County Police Department bagpipers were playing for us....probably the highlight of my day.  I ran a bit and walked a lot.  It wasnt hard to take walk breaks with the heat.  It was fun to go out on the runway for sure!!







Right after the mile 2 marker I saw my friend Kim and I stopped to walk with her....it was the best part.  I
have learned that I like to run with people just just in the same race.  We took the turn at the 3 mile mark and we started to run for the finish.......

I am not really sure what was going on here but we were almost done.....lol that is all that mattered.  We hung out for a bit after and chatted with those people we could find but headed home because I had to shower and pack to head to Connecticut for the Iron Horse Half Marathon with Danielle at 1:30 ish.  Now THAT is a whole other post.......



Have you ever volunteered for a race?  Did you love it?




19 comments:

  1. Now that I'm laid up with this injury, I have to get out to volunteer. I also have to get to a GLIRC meeting sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to go to a GLIRC meeting too LOL

      Delete
  2. I've thought about volunteering for a marathon here that I *wish* I could run. I have mad respect for marathoners, and the particular race is the inaugural race and would be so much fun to be a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very tempted next year to stop and get my f-i-l's car with his Islip resident permit sticker on it and park in the free parking near the exit!! OR just leave our car at his hose and have him drop us off! We were as far away as you can get, and after over 30 mins. of waiting to get out, we backed up and crossed all of the parking lot to get to the front of the line where it was actually moving. 1 police officer is not enough for traffic control! That's the ONLY bad thing I have to say about the race (other than the heat, which the race directors can't control, unless maybe reschedule for December?). And I haven't volunteered yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine how cold the winds across the runway would be in December?!?!?!? OMG!

      Delete
  4. Great job!!! I have never volunteered for a race but I hear it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool that it was on the airport runway! I have volunteered at a race once. I agree, it was a lot of fun being on that side of it! My job was to show runners which direction to go. Can't wait to hear about your half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an ultra trail run by me every year that I volunteer at too and I just love getting to see everyone and cheer them on!

      Delete
  6. Hi! Followed you on bloglovin (I totally follow back lol) and wanted to come check you out. That's so great that you were able to volunteer for this 5k also, I think volunteers are obviously so important! And I like the top you ended up getting with the race, it's nice! Mine are never nice. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I think that because the race directors are also runners is why the shirts are nice....i have my share of "closet filler" lol

      Delete
  7. Thanks for volunteering! I love it and think runners should do it more often. Glad you enjoyed your race! One day I'm going to get out to the airport run in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try for a day that is not a million degrees LOL

      Delete
  8. This is so cool. I was there too! I walked until the last corner before the finish line, just sprained my ankle so I wasn't going to run the whole thing. Running to the finish line was amazing though :). I never have volunteered for a race, but I just started so there is definitely plenty of chances for me to volunteer for a future race! :) I hope to run the whole thing next year... hopefully it won't be as hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome!! Way to still get it done!! Will you be at any other local races?

      Delete
    2. I did 2 other Sayville Summer Series 5Ks.
      And I plan on doing the Runners Edge Women's 5K July 13 and the Breast Cancer 5K August 17 in Massapequa. :) I am also doing The Color Run in Brooklyn in September as well! :)

      Delete
  9. This looks like a really great event. My son would love to see the airplanes. The heat can be such a challenge though. Volunteering sounds like a great option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping we would see one take off while running but we didn't it was still such a great day!

      Delete