Saturday, May 11, 2013

Life leading up to the Flying Pig Half Marathon.


Before I talk about the race itself since I have a bunch of new readers I thought I should discuss the road leading up to the run.

Ok so about a year ago I thought I was ready to do a marathon.  I asked around online which marathon was the most fun and many people said the Flying Pig.  Once registration was open I registered and immediately started to freak out.


Seriously WTF was I thinking?????
So after I registered I emailed some friends that Tom and I have out in Ohio and asked if we could stay with them.....side note, We had never met these people in real life, we met them playing an online video game.

After that I kind of just stopped thinking about it and just went about my summer of 2-3 races per week but the races were only 5k or 10k long.  Thheeeeeennn came October.  Anyone who has been reading my blog for awhile knows that my first half marathon was in October and was the Diva.  You can read just how horrible it was Here and how miserable I was after Here

I had to wear this as the best man in a wedding....how pretty.



So not too long after that I sent my $10.00 over to the Flying Pig to change my registration from the full to the half.  I went about trying to up my mileage.  Once it got cold I spent quite a bit of time on the treadmill.  In January I had my first long run since the Diva.  It was the Sayville Run to the Brewery 10 mile run and boy was it Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!  For the first time I thought I was going to stop running all together.  I didnt and I then ran 2 more half marathons, 1 in March and 1 two weeks later in April.  Both of which were so much better than the Diva.  I am slow but I focused on having fun and surviving.  I did both, yes I was sore after each but I was able to function.  This gave me to confidence to go to Ohio and just have fun.

Trip to Ohio and the actual race recap to follow.


2 comments:

  1. HAve fun!!! I feel your pain, I have been trying for NYC marathon for years and last year had a stress fracture knock me out beforei t was cancelled. It sux, and I love running but have thought about giving it up many times including now, will be posting about my struggles too! Just run and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete