Saturday, May 11, 2013

Flying Pig Half Marathon Actual Recap

We landed in Ohio late Friday night and Jeff and Becky picked us up and even though a lot of people thought it was strange we were going to visit and stay with people who we never met before but we had spent many hours playing the game with Jeff, Becky and their 2 daughters.  I feel like they may know me better than some people here in NY and I know for me from the second we got there it was like we knew each other forever.

Becky & Jeff <3

We stayed up late chatting and then got up kind of early Saturday to get breakfast and head to down town Cincinnati to the Expo.  The Expo was kind of amazing.  It was HUGE and so perfectly organized.





I got my bib and went through the vendors to get my shirt, I did have a detour when I saw armbands that will hold my iPhone 5 in the otterbox and it is hot pink. (I am bummed I didn't get the 13.1 sticker that was pig since you can only get it at the expo poop).  Got my shirt, poster, dufflebag and also got my bib activated.  After that we headed to the hotel to check me in.  I am not sure why but I got a 2 room suite and it was only $128 since I was there for the race.  The whole city LOVES this race and they treat the runners as such.

We then headed back to Jeff and Becky's to hang out for awhile because Jess's prom was that night and we wanted to see them off.  As you can see Jeff and Tom were thrilled with the kids getting ready for prom.




We then headed out to an AHMAZEING dinner of way too much food and I got dropped off at the hotel since it was close to the start line and I had to be there at 6am LOL. I laid out my stuff from the expo and my outfit for the next day.  I kept checking the weather all day in preparation for the next day, it was supposed to rain.


Race Swag!


Race day outfit with the awesome training shirt I bought a few months ago.
Boo
I had a hard time falling asleep because my belly was very full and of course I was excited for the race......

Why is 5am so damn early?!?!?
I need to be near the startline at 6am for my first ever official Half Fanatics photo so I left my room at 5:40....well I may have been on the 14th floor but there were 7 above me and only 3 elevators......I had to wait for the 7th or 8th one to get down....I missed the picture because it was 6:10 when I got there.  So I headed over to the start corrals and porto potties.



I was supposed to be in Corral F based upon expected finish time but I stayed in H because I heard the hills were super hard and I didn't want to be in anyone's way.  Only problem is Corral H was for the walkers.....Whatever I was just trying to have fun.  While I was waiting I met Riley, he was there running his first ever race.  He was just so excited I couldn't help but get excited too.  I wished him a great first race and off he went.








It took about 40 minutes to get across the start line but then I was off.  The crowds are out even in the rain and early hour.  From the beginning I was tired so I started with my run/walk pretty early on but I was busy taking pictures anyway.  Pretty early on we headed over the first bridge and into Kentucky.








We were not in Kentucky for very long, I think 2 miles or so before we headed back to Ohio but where were were in Kentucky was interesting to say the least.....


100th Marathon?!?!?  NICE!

They DO exist LOL


Fire Throwers

Dancers

Who knew you could buy kinky.....





Once we crossed back into Ohio we headed into downtown Cincinnati and there were fantastic crowds.  This was the 4-6 mile part of the run and that is always when I feel the best and this was no different plus the crowd support is always a great motivator.


My favorite sign ever

We were heading to mile 5 and crossing over the lead runners at mile 10-11!!!


I love Spiderman and a cheesehead one is even better.....I didn't even notice Riley until I downloaded this picture LOL
After we got through the dowtown area we started up the hills into Eden Park.  I ran as much as I could the whole run/walk thing went out the window awhile before because I felt good and just kept running.  Once we got up into Eden Park the scenery was beautiful.  I stopped to take some pictures and I heard my name....It was Riley.  I took a couple more pics and we went on running together.  We had a lot of fun, he thought I was 30...bless his heart LOL


You see how far uphill we had to run here......we crossed that bridge!!!



I put my camera away at this point because we were just running and chatting so I was missing all the good pictures anyway.  I found out Riley had never run a race before and he wasn't even in town for it just at the last minute a friend wasn't running so he ran in his place. When we hit 11 miles or so the rain started but we just didn't care we were almost done.  We turned a corner and I pointed out the Finish "Swine" (best race ever) to Riley and his face lit up like a kid on Christmas.  I told him to go for it and he took off.  I had hoped to find him again after but with 33 THOUSAND runners the finish area was hectic.  The Finish Swine for the marathoners was next to us and there were people finishing that at the same time....YIKES! 

I got through the finish area and then just started to head back to the hotel.....it was a loooong 1 mile walk and yes uphill and it was raining pretty hard now.  After I got back to the hotel I took finish pictures and Tom, Jeff & Becky came and got me.  I checked out and we headed out to eat.


According to my Garmin the course was 1/4 mile too long.....
 I have to say the Flying Pig was all around the best race I have done so far.....everything about the weekend was perfect.  Even the rain didn't ruin anything.  I waited for the pictures to get posted and I copied these....I did also order them so I do not feel like I am posting stolen goods here LOL  I did pose for an official finisher photo but it is not on the site so I guess it didn't come out.




I can't wait to do it again!!!


23 comments:

  1. Awesome job GiGi!!!! I want to that one someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun and cool race! Out of curiosity, do you know who the first female finisher's time was LOL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun!!

      Full = 2:53:56
      Half = 1:27:16

      Delete
  3. Wow - this looked like a super awesome race, good job!!! I have to put this on my list :) I'm loving the swine swag and the flying pigs at the expo, super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I cant recommend it enough!!

      Delete
  4. If I ever do a marathon I will probably employ the 90/10 run/walk plan. I think it might keep my mental strength up knowing I have a break EVERY mile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help!! I tried the .9/.1 but I needed to shorten it a bit so that is why I went with the 4/1.

      Delete
  5. Awesome job girl! I really really wanna do this one next year! (I didn't know it came into KY!) That pig butts sign is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome race! Glad you had a nice time despite the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Was the drive through Liqour store still there in KY? Flying Pig was my first half in 2010 (in the rain too) and was wonderful! It set the bar pretty high for all halfs I have done since and I am really thinking about doing it next year again.
    Great job and recap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it was shortly before we headed back into Ohio. It really was awesome!! I will do it again for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there!!! Found you from frickin fabulous at 40!!! Just heard you ran the Brooklyn half, like me! my first run back after hip surgery...plus...I am from KY originally and I just loved this lastest post!!! Can't wait to read more about you.

    Is the Brooklyn half where you visited your first medical tent? My friend running was taken to a hospital at mile 10 for dehydration...my post is still in the works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!!! Thanks for checking my blog out! Glad you back to running, hip surgery seems scarey to me! The Brooklyn half was where my first medical tent trip happened....started to hurt at mile 8....how is your friend? I will be doing my post shortly soon!!! I can't wait to read yours to compare notes!!

      Delete
  10. Congrats Gigi! I've heard so many great things about this race. Wish I could've done it this year but next year for sure. My youngest is a pig fanatic and will be in her glory all weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are everywhere!!! She will be thrilled!! I can't wait to do it again!

      Delete
  11. You go on with your bad self girl!! I just started running after a lifetime of being anything but in shape. I'm busting my bootie trying to get in enough cardio shape to not pass out on the side of the road during my first 5k... which... I have been to chicken to schedule up to this point. oops. Chicken little party of one. I figured I would blog my adventure, it inspires me to see yours. Who knows maybe I'll have some pavement distance in my future.

    B
    http://smilingrunningshoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it!!! And I can not wait to read all about it!!! :)

      Delete
  12. Oh, heavens! That medal is very bit as cute the Princess 1/2 marathon bling. LOVE it, I wish you'd said it was nice & flat or all downhill. I'd be all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I didn't look at the elevation map until after I registered....good thing too as I hate hills. It was tough but so fun it was worth it!

      Delete