Wednesday, May 22, 2013

2 Years + an awesome surprise.

Ok I know I should be doing the blog post about the Brooklyn Half and YES I will I promise!!  I just realized something today.  It was exactly 2 years ago TODAY that I completed my very first 5k!!  I have talked about it before but a quick recap....It was a Weight Watchers Walk It Challenge and I planned on walking but I also knew I needed someone to go with so Tom said he would.  And he did, I knew he would want to run and I told him that was fine to go ahead and I would see him at the finish.  Once we got started I decided I was going to run too....I jogged a little then walked then jogged ect.....I finished 44:40 but that was 122nd out of 834.  That made made me think "I can do this!!"  When I got home I signed up for 2 more.  One 2 weeks later and 1 on my birthday.  I set the goal right then that I was going to run the whole thing on my birthday which was 5 months later.  I ended up doing 30 races in 2011.

Start line 5/22/11
I have now run more than 100 races from 4ks to half marathons to Spartan races and color runs.  I am by no means fast and it is rarely pretty but even with a lot of physical (and mental) issues I have dealt with I have not given up and that is not usual for me.  I have always been the type of person who if I am not good at something right away I just give up.


My 38th Birthday 10/23/11 - First time (and maybe only) I ran the whole 5k.

Something else awesome that happened just 5 days ago was my friend Katie over at From Icecream to Marathon posted that she was named on the list of 100 Motivating Facebook pages.  I was super excited for her and when I clicked on the link to see if anymore of my blogging friends were on it and HOLY SHIT I was on it...WHAT?!?!?!?!?  I have no idea how it happened but thank you to Women Races for the honor!  To see the full list click Here

If you are a runner, when/why did you start?  What goals have you set for yourself?

15 comments:

  1. You sure have come a LONG way in a couple years! Congrats on your runniversary! Can't wait to read about the Brooklyn half too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! Tomorrow after school I hope!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Those are some amazing accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Gigi! (Happy anniversary?)
    You are my inspiration, just by being you. <3

    I'm pretty sure I started about 1 year ago, and my goal is to actually complete the C25K program this time. Bonus would be to do another 5K run this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Anytime you want to do another one you let me know!! I will find a fun one ans we will go together again!!!

      Delete
  4. March 2010. Wish I knew the exact date! June 5th 2010 was my 1st 5k, LIMA (you already knew that!) and it holds a very special place in my heart! And my DREAM goal is to run a marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will one day!!! I did attempt to run well walk/jog a couple of times before that fateful day but since this was the time it stuck that is why I count that day :)

      Delete
  5. P.S. CONGRATULATIONS on so many awesome finish lines!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks just thin in 1 week we finally get to share one :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats! That is such a great accomplishment. I am hoping to get in some 5Ks and a few mud runs this summer. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! Mud Runs are soooooooooooooooooooo fun!

      Delete
  7. Congrats GiGi, what a great accomplishment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You totally deserve to be on that list, you are super inspiring!! I can't believe you've run that many races! See- you're amazing! I'm so glad you didn't give up that first time, look at you now!
    BTW, your birthday is 5 days after mine! :)

    ReplyDelete