Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thoughts....





I wasn't sure if I was going to do a post about what happened in Boston.  I still have not really wrapped my head around it.  I was watching the elite runners in the morning on the live feed and a few hours later when I went online to look up some people I know in real life and in the blogging world and see how they did when I saw something completely different.  I was in shock as was everyone else.  I headed over to Facebook to check on people and everyone I know was OK.  I can't say that for other facebook/blogging friends and my heart is breaking for them.  My phone started going crazy not too long after that with people checking on me which is so sweet but I will never qualify for Boston and *if* by some strange turn of events I was running a marathon ANY marathon you would for sure know about it because I would not let you forget it!!

I will say the one thing that did change for the better is that ever since I started running in 2011 I have never really thought of myself as a runner.  Why?  Maybe because I am slow, maybe because I do not have the drive to train for a full marathon.  Maybe because I don't really love to run.  I love how I feel when I am done and I love the friends I have made along the way and I love that I push through and have accomplished things I never would have thought I could.  But now I am proud to say I am a runner.




14 comments:

  1. I completely and 100% relate. No matter how slow (and trust me, I'm slower than most!). We are all runners. We are united. My thoughts are with the injured and greiving today. And after work, I will lace up and head out for a run. For Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so hoping there would be no casualties. Every time it is not a case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally relate too. I am not a "dedicated" runner and more of a fair weather runner so I often don't think of myself as a runner. Terribly sad about Boston. A friend of mine has both of her parents in ICU. It's just horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about your friends parents I can not even imagine!!! Has there been any news on them?

      Delete
  4. Say it, "I am a runner." It feels good. Maybe one day we'll believe it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I believe it yet but I do feel it now if that makes sense....?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You make a good point! Running isn't about being fast. It's about running and making friends and the spirit of the sport. I think that what happened in Boston touched everyone (athletes and none athletes) in such a profound way because regardless of our fitness level we all cheer for those who have the drive to take on an event such as the Boston marathon. I can't even begin to wrap my head around why anyone would want to cause such tragedy during such a positive and uplifting event.

      Delete
    2. Because slime like that try to break the human spirit but it will not happen....we runners are a force!

      Delete
  6. You are most definitely a runner! It is a great community and in the wake of this tragedy you can really see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...it really is a group of amazing people, I have met so many awesome people in real life and online ever since I started running.

      Delete