Friday, April 26, 2013

Double Header


This weekend is going to be my first double header weekend of the year.  Most of you know that I usually run races every Saturday and Sunday from March/April - December.  This is how I keep my motivation up to keep running.  This year I decided to run bigger races and cut back on the smaller local races. I am nervous about this weekend .  Not because of the races per say, it is just a 4 miler Saturday and a 5k on Sunday but because I finally found a shoe that helps keep my neuromas under a bit of control.  Nothing makes running harder than feet that hurt IMO.  I started running with Newton Gravitys.  I think what helps is the "nubs" on the metatarsal area of the shoe. They have kept my feet mostly pain free during a bunch of short runs and the last two half marathons.

Bright colors are just a bonus

But with every good statement there is always a "BUT" right?  So my but is that ever since I changed to these shoes my hip hurts after running (bursitis I think), I have shin splints and what seems to be periformis  (sp?) syndrome in my butt (basically a pain in the butt).  I looked at the bottom of the shoes and they are worn much more on the outer side so it is pretty obvious that I am under-pronating which would cause these issues.  I think I may also do that to avoid the pain in my feet from the neuromas.

Well I have been stretching, foam rolling and using my stick before and after each run but the hip and shin splints still suck.  I am going to a chiropractor that is also a runner on Monday for a evaluation and I am SSSSOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!  I just want to run pain free just once.....is that too much to ask?  I want to just be sore and out of breath not hurting if that makes sense.  Who knew running was so hard....it never seemed this hard as a kid.


My best friends lately.

How do you deal with running pains?  I have had a lot of pain since day 1 and I actually think my stubbornness may have actually helped keep me at it to try and prove that it can't make me quit.

10 comments:

  1. Love your best friends. I have their twins at my house. Funny that you stated Saturday's race is "just a 4-miler." For shin splints, i don't think there is much to do except take a week off from running. What do i deal with running pain? Grin and bear and hope i can "run" it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the feet pain is worse than the others, not because it hurts worse but it hurts when I run where as the hip and the leg hurts before and after but not during.

      Delete
  2. Since getting my new shoes, the heel is better but the quads were bothering me! I guess it's our body compensating for all of our "glitches." I've taken a lot of time off from running this month and haven't run more than 30 miles, even though I have a half in 9 days. We'll just see how that strategy works! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to a chiropractor and I believe there are soooo many benefits. I hope it helps!! I want you to be pain free too! Can't believe how you have stuck it out with all those aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to a chiropractor regularly for back issues but this will be focused on my running so I am so excited!!

      Delete
  4. will do you a post about your experience with the chiropractor? i have never been to one and am very curious! hope you get pain free soon. ps - i LOVE bright shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will!!! I go to a chiropractor regularly for back issues but this will be focused on my running so I am so excited!!

      Delete
  5. Loving the bright shoes!!! and the twins? priceless. I use stretching and rest if I feel a twinge but do not hesitate to visit a doctor if it doesn't improve or something feels off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go to a sports chiro yesterday and it looks like i have weak ankles....it was nice that he was a runner so for the first time the dr. didnt tell me to stop running.

      Delete