Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It has been awhile......

I am sorry I have been a bit MIA recently.  Life has just been a bit busy but I assure you with the exception of the past 3 days I have been running.  Actually according to Garmin Connect I ended out February with a yearly mileage of 123.6!! Jan was 66.59 and Feb was 57.03.  Not too shabby in my opinion especially when you add a couple of bike rides in there.

This past Saturday was my first outside race since early January!  It was the Little Cow Harbor Run for HOPE.  It was a 4 miler and hilly.  I actually would have probably not picked this one except my friend Gabby was coming for a visit and she requested it.  It was her birthday wish.  One of her friends that lives in Canada also came to town to run it as his first race ever!! 

It has been very cold here in NY and Saturday proved to be more of the same, it was about 30 degrees when we headed out.  The sun did come out while we were running thank goodness!!!






Not sure why but the start ended up being delayed 15 minutes which is not really a big deal except that it was very cold and once we did start running I felt just how tight my calves were.....I stretched before we headed over to the start line but after all the standing around in the cold I think they got unhappy.  The course was nice and really once you get moving it is not that cold.  I do wish I had gloves but all in all the sun was bright so I was warm enough.  I did practice my plan for my half marathon even if it was a short race of the run .9/walk.1 and Just after the 3 mile mark a guy told me "it is all down hill from here".....I kicked it up a notch to find out he was a liar.....maybe trying to make us feel better but there were a few more hills including the hill to the finish line....Hey Race Directors if you could cut that shit out I would be grateful, thanks!  There was a girl sitting at the top of a hill taking pictures and I think I smiled and waved so I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.  Lots of great volunteers at this race and the post race food was hot soup!!  YAY



Well according to my Garmin I finished in 43:50 (official time was 44:17 but I start my watch when I actually cross the start line not when the gun goes)  Either way it is my PR for this distance down from 45:35 at last year's run around the lake (That race is DOWN hill to the finish thank you very much!)

It has been a crazy week, I was having car issues so I dropped it off yesterday to get fixed and I still don't have it back which has thrown my whole week off.  I have a final tonight at school so I should be getting home early and I will get on that treadmill!!  It looks like we should be getting some snow here tonight and tomorrow BOO! 

I set up a countdown app on my phone yesterday and I saw this.......

There is also 2 more after these......YIKES!



15 comments:

  1. You are race crazy! I wish I had as much drive as you! That means my half is in 60 days too! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! (yes, said just like Kevin from Home Alone)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From now until the end of the year I will have a minimum of 1 a week....LOL I want to cut down a bit but they keep me going.....

      Delete
  2. Great job on the PR!!! You are a racer!! We have to get together at a race soon!!!! We live soooo close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Seriously we need to!! I have seen you at a couple but you are always busy warming up and stuff but next time I will interrupt!

      Delete
  3. I agree, what is it with RDs putting the finish uphill. Seriously.
    Nice PR regardless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! WE started the race up hill so I thought the end would be downhill.....but nope :) LOL

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your PR! Yes, I hate it when people say "1000 yards to go" or "you're almost done" or.. whatever. That's why I wear my gadgets. I should just trust what I'm wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I wouldn't mind the encouragement if it wasn't BS :)

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you're still running, and congrats on that PR! Especially on crazy hills like that! Your race schedule looks about like mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with my spreadsheet I actually scheduled 2races for the same day but luckily one s at night lol!

      Delete
  6. Sweet, I love your blog! That's a great time for such a hilly course. I always avoid doing any Huntington race now ever since I did one in October, there was a hill that lasted forever! I'm doing the April fools half as well, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Are you going to win that half? My only half so far was the Diva :). I live in Huntington so I try to schedule most races to be on the south shore lol

      Delete
    2. Haha I don't know, I don't like to go into races thinking about winning. I just want to have fun and maybe do a bit of gambling! :) Hopefully it's not too windy on the boardwalk and we have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  7. The countdown app is super cool! Although maybe it would freak me out...LOL

    I've always wanted to go back and slap race volunteers that the finish was close when it wasn't!

    ReplyDelete