Monday, March 25, 2013

AllState NY 13.1 Recap

As many of you may know I was very nervous about this race.  I had only run 1 half marathon before and it did not end well.  That was 5 months ago and I for sure have been running more but after my disastrous 10 mile race in January I was beyond nervous.  Then to add to my nerves the weather here in NY is not typical end of March weather...more like mid February weather. 

Annnnyyy who....I also did not want to go alone so thankfully my friend Danielle was going and she said I could ride with her and her friend Denise.  I drink a lot of water anyway but I cut out most of my tea Friday and ate well.  I made some overnight oats on Friday before going to bed early so to not have the stomach issues I had last time eating things I don't usually eat.  So at 5:45am on Saturday I showed up to Danielle's house a bundle of nerves.

Denise got there at 6 and off we went.  The ride in was nice even when a woman almost took off the side of the car when she decided at the last second that the middle lane was not where she wanted to be she was getting off the highway right then.....luckily Denise has catlike reflexes and was able to avoid getting hit but it didn't help the adrenaline!  The race is at a pretty iconic place.  Corona Park in Flushing Meadows, there were 2 Worlds Fairs there and it has the cool Unisphere.


We got there pretty early so getting our packets took all of 2 minutes then we hit up the ladies room and went back to the car to get ready.  I talked to my friend Christine who was also running and we planned on meeting at the start line because she was in a different parking lot.



At 8:30 we headed out to the ladies room again and the start line...IT WAS FREEZING!!  I took the only pictures I would take at the start line, I thought I would take a lot like at the Diva but it was too cold sorry.

Denise & Danielle

Danielle and me as you can see I am shivering SO COLD

Denise and I

YAY Christine found us!!!

Starting line
Now Denise said she would like to run together and I didn't want to say No but I was so nervous that I was going to hold her back or trying to keep up I was going to get too tired too fast but we both said that we would not push too hard and she would be fine with me doing my Galloway 4:1 that I planned on doing after mile 1.  I am glad we did, we just had a nice time together and when she was feeling good and wanted to go a little faster she did, no big. 


Around mile 7 I heard my name and it was Denise coming up behind me, I assumed it was Christine lapping me but Denise had stopped to pee so I was able to catch up to her.  We stayed together for awhile and then off she went, I was able to keep her in my sights for the rest of the race but the winds were really kicking my ass the second time around the lake.  I really felt like I was not even moving a few times.  I kept up with the Galloway 4:1 for most of the race, I got off track a few times because when my watch beeped it was for a mile marker not telling me to change to walk or run and I did change LOL.  The last 2 miles I did walk a bit more and I did walk through every water stop but I think the wind and the cold were my biggest enemies this time.  The zipper on my jacket was starting to rub a mole I have on my clavicle but unzipping was too cold....finally at mile 12ish I thought to put one of my gloves tucked into my shirt to stop the rubbing, it worked.  I finished just 1:30ish later than my last time but I felt so much better after I was not mad at all.  I was actually able to smile.

2:41:26 Finish
I was pretty bummed that they ran out of the silver wraps to keep warm after and bananas the 2 things I was looking forward to the most...those and no more running LMAO.

So when I got back to the car I had to take a picture of my medal for Instagram of course.....I love it but I do with there was some sort of thing to show this was the NY stop of the series.





I saw that I had a bunch of missed calls from a few NJ numbers.....we were getting our new living room furniture delivered today so that was not a good sign....they have rescheduled on us a few times now (We ordered on 2/13).  So first I called my husband to see if all went well.  He said it didn't come yet so I listened to my voice mail...1 was driver asking why were were not answering the door and 2 Pottery Barn saying driver was there and no one was home.  I called back and said they had not come but the customer service person called the driver and he described my house to a T.  Sooooooooooooo even though my husband was home and awake he did not hear a furniture trunk stopped in front of the house or the delivery guys knocking.

So this is what I came home to.....

I wasn't mad it is just ridiculous...you really cant make this shit up can you.  I wish I had thought to change the contact number to the house number knowing I was going to be running when the delivery was happening.  But I did still kind of feel like a scene from one of my favorite movies ever.......

AAAAHHHHH We've been robbed!!!!

Even though I felt OK after it was over this time I came to the realization that I don't really like this distance.  It takes me 2.5+ hours to do it and I get bored.  I think that after I do the 4 more I am registered for this year I will only do this distance maybe once a year and only fun/special ones.  I also and 99.9% sure I will never do a full marathon.  The training for it would be too much and then spending 6+ hours out on the course it just too much.  I just wish there were more 10k's around.  Now THAT is my favorite distance.

What is your favorite distance?





14 comments:

  1. Great commentary! I haven't done a half yet, so I can't tell what my favorite distance is for now. I can't wait to see what your furniture looks like when it finally gets there... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will post pictures of it for sure......it has been long awaited lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I love it too...I just wish they put a star or something on the NY spot just so you knew which race it was for.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried music to keep you energized? I wait a while to turn it on, especially if I'm a breathing harder so I can drown out the sound. :)

    I love the 10k too, but think I might really like the half distance after just doing my first.

    And I love the Birdcage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot run without music or podcast even audiobooks - even a mile would be too much without!! LOL

      Delete
  4. I was going to say the same thing about the medal- would it be that difficult to put a big star on the city that the half is held at?!?

    I bet running with someone the entire race would help with the boredom, and like Katie (running another marathon), never say never!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK I wont say never.....but I for sure can't imagine it at this point :)

      Delete
  5. that medal is some SERIOUS bling! WOW!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, girl! I can almost see you shivering in those pics! I do not like running in the cold!!
    After training for this full, I can't WAIT to get back to running half's. I think they're my fave distance. After my 2 full's this year, I think I'm done with them! You should do at least 1 full though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I sure was OMG so cold!!!

      Yeah you should never say never right? I can say until a half is a comfortable distance for me then I may try for a full. Just the thought of the amount of training you have to do it daunting!!

      Delete
  7. This post really hits home for me. I've been thinking a lot about race distances lately. I've completed one half (virtually) and I took it really slow and used the run/walk method. It was a spur of the moment deal and I didn't train for it. While I enjoyed it, it was a long time to be out- 2:54. I know I can do better, but I'm not sure if I want to run more half marathons or focus on shorter distances. It's hard to ignore all the 13.1 hoopla though in the running community! I am signed up for a fall half, so I'll at least be doing one more. I do really like the 10k distance, but like you said, there aren't many races. My 10k PR is 1:04, which is unofficial as it too was virtual. But anyway, great job on your half and sweet bling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My first half was virtual too and on my treadmill...my time was 2:51 but I had TV so it was not that bad. But the 'real life' ones (all two I have done) there is not TV and I got bored. My 10k PR is 1:08 and I think that is a good length of time to be out running....you get a good work out but not too long that you are bored or tired for the rest of the day. I am not sure about your area but I am lucky to live in an area that has multiple 5ks every weekend so I do A LOT of races but there are only 3 10ks that I know of...there are a couple of 4 milers and 1 or 2 5 milers but for some reason they just arent the same LOL

      Delete