Saturday, February 9, 2013

Blizzard 2013 and Running....

So this happened.....as if you hadn't heard about it.....LOL


Official totals for my town were 29 inches!!!!


Did it snow by you?  Most of Long Island is actually shut down.  Major roads are closed and all town roads are also closed.  People slept in their cars that got stuck on the roads because the snow came down so heavy and so fast.  I am so happy I skipped work and that Tom works like 2 miles away.  It took my friend Michelle SIX HOURS to go like 10 miles home...if it is even that far....

This is an actual picture taken by Newsday.  That is a MAIN 4 lane road!!
So that brings me to today.....after I watched Under the Tuscan Sun TWICE on TV I decided it was time for my run and for some reason I decided to do it outside...HAHA  I was running today in memory of Sherry Arnold who was killed while out running.  I figured with all the roads closed to everyone except emergency vehicles and that we apparently will not get plowed again until Sunday the roads should be pretty free of cars...the drivers in my neighborhood are jerks...I am sorry if you live around here but they really are....I have said it before and I genuinely believe that they sometimes are aiming for me or just don't see me even with reflective and bright clothes on.   So I dressed warm, thank you Brooks for your Utopia thermal pants and jacket!  I put on my Brooks Ghost GTX trail/snow sneakers and off I went.
Before
During

After


I do wish I had sneaker spikes as it was VERY icy out there.  I had to take a lot of walk breaks for a few reasons.... 1. Icy roads especially the hills, 2. There were cars out there and 3. It was very hard to breathe.  When I got home I tried one last time to get Horatio to go out in the snow....my cats are all Siberian...they are supposed to love the snow.
He was not having it......if you look closely you can see the grip he had on my jacket.
How is your weekend going?  Do you run in the snow?

14 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting out there in all that snow. We still don't have our street plowed yet, so there's not too much running I can do! Love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I love my Brooks! Best at keeping me warm!

      Delete
  2. Ha! I was going to comment that I liked the outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I now have to go get more of these jackets!

      Delete
  3. I can't even fathom that much snow! Great job getting out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it is the weekend so I can just stay home.....I am not a snow fan! But it was nice to go run in it.

      Delete
  4. I was just talking about your storm situation today on my run with my running partner. 2 years ago we had the biggest snowfall we can remember and it was 17 inches. We were laughing at how little that seemed to what you guys were getting! Wowza! That is a lot of snow, pictures help give a better idea of how it looks & feels. Good for you for getting out! It does look pretty! Stay safe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was fun but slow going and I am feeling different muscles today for sure!

      Delete
  5. No show here. So jealous! But I did get some miles in for Sherry. I miss living in upstate NY. Best snow storms ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am from upstate NY and I was thinking how this would be nothing up there but here it shuts everything down LOL

      Delete
  6. You forgot to mention the snow blower from hell!! What a jackarse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gigi! I hope you are all dug out and your cat is so cute!! I love your blog (and the name is super cute)! I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check out the details here: http://livecraftsweat.blogspot.com/2013/02/i-won-blog-award-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete