Sunday, January 20, 2013

I love you man!!!!

And not in a drunken frat boy kind of way......more of a Paul Rudd and Jason Siegal kind of genuine love kind of way.



First and foremost I want to thank you all for all of  your words of encouragement yesterday.  It was wonderful to see how much faith you all have in me and that I am not alone.  After a day of the couch, TV and kitty medicine I am feeling much better.

I decided last night to skip my 5k last night unless I woke up early without an alarm and just felt like going.  Well I woke up with enough time to get ready to go if I rushed so I decided to stick with my decision to skip it.  I realzed that I never got the mail yesterday so I went out to get it and the weather is PERFECTION right now and the first thought I had was "What a perfect day to run"  This made me smile because I guess the want to run is still in there.  Then when I opened the mail box I saw this.....


For those who do not live in New York this is an Empire State Pass and it gets you in to all state parks in the state of New York for free and I know the parking costs on Long Island is high so I bought this to start going to parks to run more often instead of my neighborhood boredom.  I took it as a sign that I have to keep running.

So now I have to figure out a plan of attack.  I obviously need to cut back and make sure I get some rest days in.  Maybe in a few years I will be fit enough to run everyday but as of now I still need rest.  I am not sure why I thought I could run every day and go back to school while working and trying to have a life.

Now do I set up a schedule or just set a goal number of runs/miles per week and fly by the seat of my pants.

Do you follow a plan?  How important is rest to you, if you go to a yoga class is that still a rest day for you?

13 comments:

  1. This is my first Empire Pass too! A friend of mine told me about a holiday discount (or was it a Sandy discount) and I got mine for $40.00! I'm proudly wearing it on my Mini Cooper window.
    Love your kitty holding the remote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to get it for the new year sale too but just getting back from vacation I couldn't remember my name LOL

      Delete
  2. Pick a half marathon training plan. I recommend Hal Higdon's Novice 2 for you. It allows for 2 days of rest plus one day of cross training. You don't have to run every day to train for a half marathon. The key is slowly adding mileage. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program
    Runninginthefamily.com also has a 3 day per week training plan, but their website is not easy to navigate and I can't find it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard great things about the Hal Higdon plan! I also have a Jeff Galloway one on my phone.....

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I need some kind of plan. I'll start training for a marathon soon, so I won't have much of a choice. But for the most part, I strength train MWF and run TThS and sometimes Sundays. I aim for a long run Th, yet leave Sat for backup. And I am for at least 5 miles each run. It has worked for me rather well since coming off some injuries last summer. Everyday was just too much, I think. For me, a rest day is total rest...no workout, no nothing. And I don't do that enough.

    Everyone needs to determine what works best for them. Trial and error. It's really the only way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went from just winging it and running when I thought to then jumping straight to every day running so I have to find a happy middle. I just started back to school on Monday and Wednesday but for some reason I find it easier to run on those days than the days I do not have school....I just don't like running that late as it messes with my sleep. I might jst have to try a few different ways. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Bad ass! I'm so jealous. I've always wanted to spend like a year living in New York just to see what its like. lol. I'd definitely love to spend some time running through all their different parks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how much people want to be here and we want to be anywhere else....always the way :)

      Delete
  5. Good for you for not pushing yourself when your body was yelling STOP! Sometimes progress is realizing we are not machines and we need to listen to our working parts when they need some attention!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a hard decision but I know it was the right one!

      Delete
  6. Yoga is rest...especially if you fall asleep at the end ;) I always follow a plan..or I'll hurt myself ;)

    ReplyDelete