Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Safely back in my running shoes.


Ok as anyone within ear shot or who even glances at my Facebook pages knows I have been sick since the day before Thanksgiving and have not been able to run.  This included 2 DNS's this past weekend.  I know it was the best choice so I can get better but boy does that make me cross!  Who knew that I am to the point in my life as a runner than I need to run for my sanity and if I don't/can't it leads to a grumpy Gigi!  I decided yesterday that since the weather was perfect for running I was going to run when I got home.  Besides I had a virtual 10k that I was late in completing.

Now anyone who knows me in real like knows that I tend to be a bit naive with my personal safety sometimes.  You know things like finding a dog wandering the streets of a neighborhood that is a bit on the seedier side of town at night during a blackout after a storm and just randomly knocking on doors front and back trying to find the owner....or when I see a dog get hit by a car and run off instead of running after the dog I high speed chase the guy who kept driving and run him off the road with my car just to call him a piece of shit...or stopping my car on the service road of the Long Island Expressway during rush hour traffic and getting out of my car in a suit and heels to pic up a squirrel that is trapped between 2 lanes....you get the gist.  I am smart I swear but sometimes emotions trump my brain.



So anyway by the time I got home it was dark and our streets are still full of Sandy debris and with all the stories I read on blogs and in the news of runners getting hit by cars or attacked and since my husband was not home yet for me to tell where I was going I actually decided to run at home.

Common Sense WINS!!! Finally!


Now I usually watch Big Bang Theory while on my treadmill but the amazing Jolene AKA Canuck Mom on the Run was talking about re watching Buffy recently on Hulu and I own the entire series on DVD I had to watch some......

Season 4 is my favorite season
As I was stretching this OF COURSE happened.  Why does this have to happen EVERY SINGLE TIME I get on the treadmill....sometimes just one cat but usually ALL THREE!  And my cats are big so everything about them is big.....

Thanks Horatio it didn't smell enough like shit down here and I love that scent when I am breathing heavy from running.
I took the run slow and I needed to!  I walked (4mph) for 5 min then ran slow (5mph) for 10 min and just kept repeating that for the 1:19:19 it took me to do 6.25 miles.  It was perfectly 2 episodes of Buffy too - BONUS.

I have my yoga clothes with me today but I am not sure if I am going to go to class or catch up on another virtual run that I am behind on.  It is a 4 miler and normally I would just go to class then run when I got home but I am still a bit sick so I don't want to go crazy.

Speaking of virtual runs.  You know I love these!!  I just registered yesterday for another one that is being hosted by my fellow Tough Chik, Kimmie (who BTW ran 17 miles yesterday YIKES) and it is for a cause that is near and dear to me...the fight against breast cancer.  You can find out how to register here.  You do not have to do all 13.1 miles at once if you are not ready but throughout the month of February.  I will be in full on training mode for my half marathons in March/April/May so it works perfect for me!!!

8 comments:

  1. It seems you ARE feeling better! Thank goodness. Sometimes "fake it til you make it" works too! Just make sure if you start feeling crappy again you get checked out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure!! No more waiting to see if it will pass!

      Delete
  2. Sorry your silly cat left you some unnecessary airfreshener!
    Thanks for the shout out!
    I see your race schedule widget (so cool), so excited that we are both running Atlantic City! I ran RnR Philly last year, loved the scenery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure!!! I will be down there with my friend Regina, I registered her to run it as her first half for her birthday!!

      Delete
  3. I definitely know what you mean about getting grumpy when you can't run. It becomes a part of you, and then your body craves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of it is I am so afraid of falling back in to old habits of being lazy....I am glad i am not alone :)

      Delete
  4. I am a total buffy fan as well :) I found your blog on the facebook page for 13 in 2013. Wow you have ran a TON of races!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks!!! I find that having a lot of races it keeps me focused. I need something to be working for or even just something to get my ass out running!

      Delete