Monday, November 12, 2012

Treadmill or track time is my future.

So yesterday I headed out in the glorious weather that has finally come to Long Island.  During my run I heard nothing but chainsaws and people hammering their roofs. Long Island is starting to clean up and rebuild after Sandy and even though there are still thousands of people without power or homes we are moving in the right direction.  I had the Run 4 NYC virtual 5k on schedule and I knew it was going to be tough since I have hardly had a chance to run recently and it had been a full week since my last run.


The first thing I noticed was the fact that all roads, main and side were lined with debris so even if there were sidewalks I could not run on them.  Unfortunately drivers did not seem to think they needed to take extra care around these areas even if there was a runner trying to navigate around the same debris.  I have never had to jump out of the way of a car before while running or actually thought I was in danger of getting hit.  TWICE I thought I was going to get hit and ONCE I jumped over a puddle to get out of the way just to have the driver not even attempt to avoid said puddle and splash me.  Now there was no traffic coming in the opposite direction NOR was there even a double yellow line since it was a side street, they just didn't give a shit.

 Even though we had one tree professionally removed it was so much brush and wood that it has to go into the street so imagine how it is when it is just exhausted and frustrated homeowners just trying to get it out of the way and off their houses and cars.....  I can not thank my landlord enough he took care of everything for us so fast and was out there himself working on things even without power at his house!  Thank you Gordon!



Just one tree down, one more will be coming down after the roof gets fixed.
So it looks like I will be heading over the the HS track and/or hanging in my basement to get any evening runs in.  If the weather is nice on the weekends I may try to brave the roads more but well see.  I so wanted to try out my new Knuckle Lights too!!  POOP!



Oh and back to my run.....my body and mind were so very tired.  I really had to push and I just couldn't seem to get going.  My legs were tired and I was feeling sore in the backs of my thighs and my ankles which I have not had before.  I am hoping it was just the bad footing on the roads.  It just proved to me that I need to get back into the groove of running and yoga!!  Oh and I will be trying Anti Gravity Yoga for the first time this week!  I am sooooo excited!!!

Do you do yoga?  What is your favorite type?  My has always been Vinyasa but I am excited for this week!!

6 comments:

  1. I've only done yoag a few times and it was the show at 6am on Oxygen a LONG time ago. I do like it, but I always feel like I have to do aerobic exercise! I'm stupid that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that but I will say yoga has helped with my running. It teaches you how to breathe better and you get so strong!

      Delete
  2. I have never done a formal yoga class, just DVDs. I am excited to try some classes at a gym I just joined this week. I'm wondering what types I should try?! Let me know what you think! - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only do classes because I was never sure I would do it correctly. I really like vinyasa the most because it has a flow to it not just posing.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, that driver was such a jerk!! So glad you got out there and did it though! I've never done yoga in my life. I probably need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga is a drug!! Once you start you just cant stop. It helps with running too...you learn how to breathe better and you get so much stronger.

      Delete