Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Bling or not to Bling?

Does the fact that a race has or does not have bling come into account when deciding on a race?  I found out yesterday that it does for me.  I have quite a few medals, most are finisher medals and not winner medals.  I do have a couple of age group medals too!!

I have a medal holder I got on Etsy last year but it has never made it onto the wall....but it will!  It has to because I just ordered a new one since this one is full.  My Diva medal is so big it is on the door knob with my Spartan bag.




I need a new one for two reasons:

1.  I found a website that hosts virtual runs to raise money for Team in Training and you get super cute bling!!!

2. I have decided to got for the second level of half fanatics next fall after getting the first level in the spring.  And usually a half marathon has a finisher medal.

Level 1 = 3 Half Marathon finishes in 3 months.
Level 2 = 8-11 Half Marathon Finishes in 12 months.

So the other day I was looking up races local to me and close to friends who live out of state so I can have some visits and maybe running buddies.  I found a great web site to find races by state http://www.halfmarathons.net/

In September there is a race in the same town my "Sista from anotha mista", Gabby just moved to.  It is the week before the Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia so I was going back and forth

"Which one should I do?" or even "Do Both?"

Well I knew that doing Philly I could go with my friend Christine and her friends who run it every year to raise money for a charity.  Granted they are all super fast and I am not but I know Christine and her husband are AWESOME so I assume her friends are too.  Plus if I can help raise money for their charity I would love that!
Well I decided I will only do Philly and really the reason was that the race in Maryland did not have a finisher medal!!  After I run 13.1 miles I want a medal LMAO!  It may seem silly but it is the little things in life.

Do you think a medal is a deciding factor?  What about swag for smaller races?  Where do you keep your bling?

15 comments:

  1. Bling is a MUST!!!! If i get a medal Im in!!!!! All my medals (only five) hand on my wall on there own nail so nothing gets too heavy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad you posted this...because I feel the same way and was afraid I was the only one. Yes, I love the feeling of accomplishment after crossing the finishline, but that tends to come after the feeling of wanting to die....so that damn medal is the immediate gratification for what was just accomplished. Yes, I love my bling.
    Im going to have to blog now about the word "swag" as my husband apparently has definate opinions about that word....lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh Oh I dont think they are positive feelings :) There are two meaning of the word but I cant wait for the post!!!

      Delete
  3. When I started running long in 2007 there were either no or very small medals for halfs. I will do excellent races that don't have medals but I definitely prefer some bling! Love that Diva medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a place to put your picture on it too....the gem spins!

      Delete
  4. I even like saying the word bling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too......as if I even need to tell you that :)

      Delete
  5. I would appreciate medals for 5ks, but I know that's not happening (although I got one for the Yankee Stadium 5k). The LIMA 5k has some great swag (and I had an argument about the meaning of that word with my son, too!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA Non runners have a WHOLE other meaning for it!

      Delete
  6. Dang, you have so many!! I only have 2. But that will change next year. No more 5k races for me, only Half's so I can get some more bling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all things shiny!!! I'd say at least 5 of them are from virtual runs too!

      Delete
  7. Race swag does it for me. Bling is just icing on the cake sometimes. I have my medals in my son's room. He uses it as inspiration. I like the swag because I can always wear it and in my head know you got thru xyz race you can get thru this training run

    Good luck on your upcoming races. I plan to up my half status in 2013 I'm already a fanatic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why my name didn't show up. Not spam

      BK of The Fit Family Lounge

      Delete
    2. I love that you keep them in your son's room to inspire him...so sweet!

      Delete