Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Is there such a thing as a "Bad Run"?

If you CAN run and you DO run is there such a thing as a BAD run?  Disappointing run definitely but bad?

Well today I had a run that was not what I hoped it was going to be.  I have my first 1/2 marathon in 3.5 days and I have never been good at following a training plan of any sort so my training for this has been pretty lacking to say the least.  Now I don't think a few runs the week prior are going to shoot me into the sub 2 hour realm but I would like to be sub 2:30.  To date my longest run was my 6.4 mile leg of the relay a few weeks back.  I truly think I can do it but I also know I need to run the week before to be able to do it.

Ok with that being said I went out today planning on running 6 miles. I have a 6 mile loop in my neighborhood that I have run before.  I was also excited to try my new Clean Bottle that I won in a giveaway from Adam of The Boring Runner.  It is a handheld bottle with a iphone holder, a pocket for GU and a reflective band.

 Well I loaded up and headed out.  Almost immediately I hated the bottle, iphone could not be out in the case unless I took it out of the case it was already in and an otterbox is a real pain in the ass to take a phone out of...then there was the swishy water, condensation and the top didn't open and close easily with my teeth.

Then there was the humidity, I could hardly breathe and I just couldn't get my legs to go....so at the 1 mile mark instead of a left onto my 6 mile loop I took the right to head home.  I ended up taking a few walking breaks and the 1.8 loop took me just over 22 minutes..YIKES. 

Now what?  Wallow in the poor performance?  Or look at the bright side and just remember I did run today, too short?  sure, quite slow, yup but I ran and my feet didn't hurt so why not focus on that part?

So do I think there is such a thing as a bad run?  Nope :)




15 comments:

  1. Even a little is better than nothing.

    Sorry you didn't like your bottle, at least you didn't spend money on it.

    i don't think I would run the next 3 days. You will be rested and ready to go at the start. If you feel you need to so something, I suggest yoga and biking.

    Can't wait to hear all about your first! I loved mine and I am sure you will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I must get to yoga! I have not gotten to class in weeks so tomorrow for sure and maybe Saturday but I think you are right to not run until Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Great attitude! I never really thought about a bad run this way, but I LOVE it. I need to remind myself of this fact the next time I have a "disappointing" run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I have found myself saying bad run a few times and it really messes with your head so I am trying to not do that anymore :)

      Delete
  3. After the fact I'm great at realizing I am very fortunate to be able to run AT ALL, but during the run I'm wallowing in self-pity. You're not alone! I am going to try and ENJOY the half on Sunday and not piss and moan through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Slow and steady and take in the experience, that is what I did for Cow Harbor and I loved every second of it.

      Delete
  4. Too bad the bottle didn't work out! It does look a little awkward and bulky!
    Ok, so your Half is in 3.5 days, and the farthest distance you've ever run is 6.5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done 10 and 13 on my treadmill but I would take breaks.....but never an outside run that long, am I going to die?

      Delete
    2. Nope, you won't die, and you will do fine! I know you don't like following a training plan, but that was SOOO important for me in doing my first Half. I think it's also important to do some long runs outside, because the treadmill just can't compare to those roads and hills!
      You can do it, girl! Can't wait to hear about it!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! It is a totally flat course so I have that in my favor, my plan is slow and steady....I just want to enjoy the whole thing. I did that with the Cow Harbor 10k. It is a very - VERY hard 10k. It is SOOOOO HILLY! But I didn't go nuts and enjoyed the crowds and the run and I actually got my 10k PR that day! I think it is because I wasn't focused on it.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Cow_Harbor_10K

      Delete
    4. I do know I will have to follow some sort of plan for the Pig though.....you can't run 26.2 with out one!

      Delete
  5. I dont believe in bad runs anymore, any run you can do is a good one! Sorry the waternottle didnt workout.....Good luck this weekend, Diva's was my 1st half 2 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am scared and excited at the same time :)

      Delete
  6. My theory on running a race is if I have to I will slow down and take it easy - it's not worth getting hurt or sick because of it. I'm sure you can do it!
    I have a bottle holder that a friend gave me when I started running over 5 years ago. The stretchy stuff is stretching out, the original bottle has been replaced and sometimes I just use a water bottle. I've tried the belt with little waters and the big belt with big waters. I think I have a mental attachment to my hand holder and it doesn't even bother me if there is ice in my water bottle and it's sloshing around. I feel nekkid not running with it.
    No regretted runs but I've had a few that I remember were so unpleasant that I cut them short. It's not very often, but it happens! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same way about my phone lol on long runs i put it in an arm band and I feel like i forgot something HAHA

      Delete