Thursday, September 27, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things.....

I am not a pro by any means but over the past year and a half of running I have found some things that I love and might just not be able to live without.  10 Products and activities are listed in no particular order.

1.  Yoga.  I always 'liked' yoga but once I started a regular practice I realized I 'LOVED' yoga.....and after the past few weeks of not getting to class I also have learned I need yoga.  Physically and mentally I am missing something right now, I am back to having a hard time getting up in the morning and just feel Blah.



I sweat a lot in yoga and also when I run (by a lot I mean a disgusting amount) so that brings me to something I learned about from Run With Jess and that is

2. Bondi Bands  These are seriously the best headbands ever!  They soak up more sweat than I thought possible, It is disgusting I know but when I am done if I squeeze the headband liquid POURS out.  I know they are not that cute on me but I really do not care!

Me on July 4th after running a 5k in the 96 degree A MILLION PERCENT humidity New York weather.

3. Virtual Runs.  In my last post I mentioned that I run a lot of races because it gets me motivated.  Once I started reading running blogs I started seeing these virtual runs.  What they are is a blogger sets a date and people sign up to run a specific distance on that date and then log their times.  Sometimes they are free and just to get people up and moving and sometimes you donate to a charity.  Some have swag and some don't either way I love them.  My next one on my schedule is also from Run with Jess.  It is called the The Cupcake Classic.  Really? Cupcakes?  How could I resist?

4. Mud Runs.  OH MY GOD SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!  The first time I heard of these was from my friend Jodi who told me just after I started running about the Down and Dirty run that she did the year before.  I checked it out and was immediately terrified.  I was fat and out of shape, what she kidding me with this?!?  But of course I registered and got a bunch of my friends to join me.  (This is where the idea for Motley Shues came into play)  So on a perfect day last fall we all headed to the Bronx and got Down and Dirty.


 Look how cute and clean we were before we headed out.

This is still my favorite picture of the whole day.....

And after........

This Sunday we will be doing this all over again!!!  I can not freaking wait!

Since this was such a walk in the park a bunch of us decided to try The Spartan Race.  Holy Shit this was not the same animal!!  So much harder (I will do a full recap another day) but we freaking did it and I LOVED IT!!!!






4a. Color Runs - I figured this was not completely different.  They are just there to have fun.  They are not timed so we had a HUGE group willing to go no matter of their age or physical ability and THAT is one of the best parts.  I know races scare people and they don't try out of fear of failure......there is no way to fail at these.  I thought about doing a full recap of this but after these pics I don't think it is needed.




 5. Athleta 2 in 1 shorts - Once the hot weather came I wanted to wear running shorts but my thighs are still big and I get the worst "Chub Rub" and my shorts ride up into places I only let my husband get to.... :)  Exhibit A - (I know it is a blurry pic...but where is the piping think it is going???)




Imagine if the shorts did not have the second pair under?!?!?  YIKES!

6. My rainbow yoga pants from  Shining Shakti.  I have a couple of the pants and a dress and if it was OK to wear them everyday I would!!




7. Running apps on my iphone. - I will do a separate post on this as I do use a couple of different ones.

8. Garmin watch - I just got the 910XT so I will do a post after I get to know her better. 

9.  Brooks Glycerine 9s  The 10's just came out so these are one sale and I have them in 3 colors.  I am afraid to try the 10s as they didn't get great reviews but once my 9s wear out I may not have a choice.


10. Brooks Utopia Thermal Pant  Fabiana and I got these last year for the NYS Parks Winter Run Series and they were so warm and comfy!!  


I was going to stop at 10 but there is one more "thing" that I love and that has become one of the absolute best parts of running races on Long Island.

BILL BENSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will copy and paste the article from Newsday here because you have to log on to read it.  I have long called Bill my running crush but more importantly he is an inspiration to the ENTIRE Long Island running community.


LI runner still keeping up the pace at 93


At age 60, Bill Benson thought his clothes were shrinking. His wife told him that wasn't true: He was simply gaining weight.
So Benson, of Valley Stream, resolved to clean up his lifestyle.
"I was out of shape," he said. "I threw all my pipes out. I stopped drinking beer."
And, he did one more thing. Nearly four decades after finishing his career as a middle-distance runner at Ohio University, Benson started walking, then jogging, then racing again.
More than 30 years later, Benson is still going, at age 93. On Saturday, he was the oldest of nearly 5,500 competitors in the annual Fifth Avenue Mile in Manhattan, clocking in at 14 minutes, 19 seconds.
"It was, really, slower than I wanted," he said afterward.
The race was the 13th time Benson has competed in the event, which sprints 20 blocks south, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art to Central Park's Grand Army Plaza.
Benson's first crack at the race, in 1996, netted him a time of 7:58. Since then, he's racked up eight age-group victories and three second-place finishes. He's looking forward to his 95th birthday, when he'll enter a new division. "You have different records to shoot for," he said.
In college, Benson set a personal best of 4:29 in the mile -- roughly 20 seconds off the world record at the time. But he'd opt for kids and baseball practices, later working as head of small claims for Liberty Mutual in Manhattan.
When he complained, many years later, that his clothes didn't fit, his wife delivered a frank assessment of her husband's fitness.
"I gave him a boot, yes," said Annette Benson, 86.
Since then, Bill Benson has thrown himself into running. He trains up to five times a week and races "just about every weekend," his son said.
"It's a lifestyle, really," said Rich Benson, 61, of Mill Neck.
On Saturday, Bill Benson woke up, downed a bowl of Special K and a piece of toast, then took the train into Manhattan.
Annette stayed in Valley Stream. She refuses to go see "old sweaty men run," though she supports her husband's passion. "It's great, because it keeps his mind working, and he loves doing it," she said.
On Sunday, Benson will be out at another competition, this time as a volunteer for the Greater Long Island Running Club, where he's the oldest member -- and an inspiration to others.
"Most people at the age of 93 are happy to be above ground, but he's gone far, far beyond that," said the club's president, Mike Polansky, 71, of Plainview. "I want to be doing what he's doing 22 years from now."




 Above are the 2 pictures from Newsday


I took these pictures of Bill at the 5k that was part of the Long Island Marathon Weekend.  I tried to be slick but he knows I love him and he totally busted me and posed <3

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I know I see you every day and you're about five feet away from me right now... but seriously, the pic in the yoga pants?

    You look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete